The teams of the CSTB mobilize large-scale and small-scale digital and experimental resources to optimize solutions that guarantee the stability, resistance and performance of structures, thereby achieving safety and comfort.
The research teams offer a wide variety of cutting-edge experimental and digital services in aerodynamics, for a broad assortment of applications:
Buildings (museums and buildings open to the public, high-rise buildings, bridges, stadiums, cranes, facade components...
- Pre-sizing of structures
- Analysis of the aerodynamic forces exerted on buildings (local and overall loads and dynamic contribution)
- Dynamic response of bridges on small-scale aeroelastic models
- Study of the wind resistance and vibration behavior of structures (full scale)
- Study of the aeroacoustic behavior of structures.
- Aerothermodynamics of large volumes.
- Simulation of indoor ventilation systems
- Calculation of the transport of pollutants and plume behavior, accounting for thermal phenomena
- Studying the behavior of marine structures and oil rigs; the offshore industry
- Analysis of site effects on cranes
- Characterization and optimization of wind comfort
Automotive and rail
- Analysis of the weatherproofing of vehicle interiors and of sensitive zones under the hood
- Display and measurement of water film thicknesses on bodywork and windows
- Qualification of the operation of windshield wiping systems up to 250 km/h
- Analysis of two-phase flows
- Optimization of competition or convertible vehicles
- Study of the behavior and approval of trains in crosswinds
- Aerodynamic analysis of appendages, including pantographs
Experimental and digital methods
- Visual displays of flows
- Laser surface Velocimeter analysis using Particle Image Velocimetry (PIV)
- Displacement sensors, accelerometers
- Dynamometric scales
- High-resolution, high-frequency pressure measurements
- Exciters, shakers, etc.
- Digital simulation of airflows and two-phase flows
- Commercial and open-source codes for CFD: Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Jules Verne climatic wind tunnels for full scale prototypes
- Atmospheric wind tunnels for reduced scale models
- Wind tunnels dedicated to the calibration of anemometers (MEASNET accreditation)
- Dedicated test benches: roller benches, brake test benches
Measures of the aerodynamic behavior of trains in strong crosswinds
Development of instrumentation, measurement and analysis protocols. Development of a data...
Les Halles canopy roof
Experimental: wind loading on the 1:200 scale model of the building and 1:50 model of the...
Cité Musicale Île Seguin
Experimental / Digital: characterizing the effects of wind on the site using a 1/500...
Philharmonie de Paris
Experimental: wind loading and comfort study on a 1/200 scale model The Philharmonie de...
Experimental: wind loading study on cross-sectional and aeroelastic models, climate...